Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Surprised By Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church

I just finished reading a book in which the main characters and her followers believe that humanity's future lies in the stars. They work hard to make sure that the physical needs of everyone in the group are met. But, the groups time, talents, treasures and their dreams are most fully invested in outer space. In that story the main character's half brother has invested his life in Earth. He pours himself out trying to make things better here. I found it much easier to have sympathy for his character. As I was reading NT Wright's Surprised By Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church, I couldn't help but think that it was fortuitous that I read these two books back-to-back. One, a Science Fiction novel with an openly anti-Christian bias, and the other about Christianity's misguided understanding of death, the afterlife, Christ's resurrection and future events. In some ways, they both tell the same story. The story of a group of people who believe the Earth is irreparably evil and dream of escaping it and living in the heavens.

It has only been since my Dad died that I spent more than a little time thinking about what happens to a man after he has died. In my own church there is much more time spent discussing how to avoid hell than talking about what salvation means. However, long before reading Surprised by Hope I had come to the same conclusion that Wright outlines in this book. No matter how ofter I sing, "When we've been there 10,000 years, bright shining as the sun; We've no less days to sing God's praise that when we'd first begun," the Bible never promises me an eternity as a disembodied spirit living in heaven. Jesus was resurrected; I will be too. My future isn't in heaven, but on a newly created Earth.

I didn't agree with all of Wright's theology, politics or conclusions. Still, the book was a book that kept my brain working long after I put it down.
People who believe that Jesus is already Lord and that he will appear again as judge of the world are called and equipped (to put it mildly) to think and act quite differently in the world from those who don't. (p. 144)
This quote reminded me of one of my favorite Bible verses:

"We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ," 2 Corinthians 10:5 (NAS)

I am not sure I agree with this quote though. If Christians are equipped to think and act differently than the world then why in the world are there so many different expressions of what it means to behave like a Christian? The best I have been able to do is to embrace some strongly held convictions that I believe I can support with book, chapter and verse. And, how I live out my faith is different from how other Christians do.
Which of our present characteristics, and indeed our present blemishes will be retained in our transformed physicality (p. 160)
This idea has actually been on my mind for quite some time. My daughter said something to me about the way she understands God. I wish I had written it down, because I don't remember what it was. But, I do remember my reaction. She sees God completely different than I do. Her brain thinks in concretes rather than abstracts. I have always believed in the resurrection our bodies would be perfect, without blemish. That day I realized that, if God were to "heal" my daughter's brain, she would be different than the person she is today. She wouldn't relate to God the same. She wouldn't relate to me the same. I haven't come to any conclusions, but I suspect that the person needing healing in the resurrection is me. I talk alot about neurodiversity, acceptance and accomodation, but on a day-to-day basis I find myself impatient and demanding "normalcy."

The last part of the book tried to answer the so what. If we are destined to a bodily resurrection on a newly created Earth how should that change the way we live out our Christian walk today. And, I found that the book failed me. I suspect Wright's audience wasn't the lay person. He was writing to people in positions of power -- his peers if you will. That isn't who I am. So, when Wright talks about reclaiming time, space and matter for Christ in the present, he talks way above my sphere of influence. I have influence over just 1/2 acre, 1300 square feet, and 24-hours a day. My mission field serves three children and a husband. I indirectly bless my family. And, how a new understanding of eternity affects me at the grassroots level is unclear.

Oh well, I needed something new to pray about and meditate upon anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment