Tuesday, February 24, 2009

When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America

I have tried to be deliberate in my reading lately. In the past, I read novelettes which could be easily digested in a matter of hours. Since childhood, my ideal reading condition has included a large, empty block of time. I liked to be able to read a book from cover to cover. But, my time is now divided by mothering, blogging, cleaning and transporting my daughter back and forth to work. My pattern has necessarily changed. As I mature, age and turn gray, I have decided that at least some of what I read should teach me.

One of my favorite bloggers is in the habit of multi-blogging. But, she just started a new blog that attempts to combine all her thoughts in one place. Her blog description reads, "Leaping into the gap between knowledge sought [scita] and knowledge that must be sought to make sound decisions [scienda]. In other words, cool stuff to know." It is in that spirit that I have decided that every month I will read books that might be included in an African-American or Pan-African Canon if such a thing existed. After all, I am raising two black children. I should know more about their history, culture and social pressures than what I learned in the very Westernized view taught in my public school.

In When and Where I Enter, Paula Giddings presents a testimony to the impact of black women's movements of issues of race, sex, class and poverty. This is a very good book for those interested in the black history, racism and sexism in America. Racism exist on several different levels: institutionalize racism, personally mediated racism and internalized racism. This book touches on America's history at each level -- history that has put us on a trajectory that has brought about racial tension and inequities in America today. The devaluation of women in a patriarchal society predates the founding of this country. The black woman is uniquely positioned as a bridge between these two marginalized groups.

Giddings highlights the historical, differential access to education, suffrage, and employment -- the lack of power for black Americans -- that litter America's post-emancipation history. She discusses the disadvantages that existed after the creation of the Jim Crow South for black Americans. These acts of institutional racism were part of my public school education. What I didn't learn is that wealth creation programs that were started around the Depression Era excluded black Americans. The Social Security act excluded domestic and agricultural workers. Many of these jobs were held by non-white workers. These workers, therefore, were not guaranteed an income after retirement. But, even more devastating to the black family was that they were excluded from the suburban America. The Federal Housing Administration adopted racist policy. These policies prevented black Americans from qualifying for home loans in white neighborhoods. Property appraisals were also tied to race. All-white neighborhoods received the highest government rating. Home ownership and home equity is a tool for passing on wealth to the next generation.

Social Darwinism has had a negative impact on policies related to the poor. Since class and race are entwined, Social Darwinism has had a negative impact upon black Americans.

The poor deserved to be poor, and if they died from poverty, they deserved that too. Giving them government aid could destroy society, for it would corrupt the natural laws of evolution -- survival of the fittest.
Black and white women's groups had different priorities when it came to addressing these issues. While the white women's group verbally supported the black women's groups on many issues, the groups divided politically. White women were willing to forgo suffrage for all in exchange for suffrage for white women. Southern white women published a policy statement that stated that their purity didn't need to be defended by mobs of white males lynching black men. But, they didn't support federal legislation that would allow the federal government to intervene and investigate acts of lynching if the local government had refused to do so. The issue of state's versus federal rights was too important to the group. Employment issues were viewed differently too. White women didn't necessarily fight for the right of black women to go to college and enter jobs that had historically been men's jobs. Instead the saw better working conditions for maids and laundry workers as improving black women's work.

The society's devaluation of black Americans was played out on personal levels too. When legislation was approved opening jobs to black Americans, some employers refused to hire black workers because their white employees wouldn't work side-by-side with a black worker. When black men and women finally won the right to vote, individual white Americans used fear, bribery and murder to keep them from the polls. Law enforcement officers sometimes turned a blind eye. The author even related a story of a tea at the home of Eleanor Roosevelt attended by a leader in the black woman's movement. There was an awkward moment at the beginning of the meal. No one wanted to share a table with this woman.

In my own town, a diversity survey found that, despite feeling uncomfortable around people of other races because lack of exposure, there is enough diversity in our community. In fact, one resident admitted to moving here from the cities to get away from diversity. I suspect that it is safe to conclude that personally mediated racism is alive and well in my home town.

Perhaps the hardest thing to embrace is that many black Americans have internalized the message they receive from society. In my mind, this message is most clearly seen in young black males who portray themselves as gangsta's. In my hometown this seems to be the only image a black teen is allowed to portray -- dangerous, strong, cool, and a sexual savant. It is what his peers expect of him. Even some white male teens have embraced this stereotype. I know because these boys are unusually attracted to my oldest daughter. She is perceived by her peer group as half black. Since all things black are cool, so is she.

The author also discussed the feeling inside the black community that lighter skin is better. I would say this also applies to hair textures that are more European. There is an understanding in the black community that really tight, kinky curls are "bad hair." "Good hair" is straighter and "prettier."

"There are men right in our own race, and they are legion, who would rather marry a woman for her color than her character. The white man who crosses the line and leaves an heir is doing a favor for some black man who would marry the most debased woman, whose only stock in trade is her color, in preference to the most royal queen in ebony." ~ Nannie Helen Burroughs
Finally, black women's groups were confused by the whole women's movement. The average black family still makes 58 cents on every dollar a white family earns. This income gap meant that black women have always worked to help their family survive. In fact, black women go to college at a higher rate than black men. There are more black women professionals then there are black men professionals. Sociologists have studied this phenomenon and have come up with a surprisingly stupid conclusion. Black women are too bold. There drive and education has disenchanted black men. The solution? Black women should stay home and remain uneducated.

I couldn't believe all the women who had significant contributions to our country who I had never in my life heard of! I don't recall ever learning about Ida B. Wells, Mary Church Terrell, or Mary McLeod Bethune.

Last, and this could be a blog entry in itself, I stumbled over this quote:

"Why is it never said that the really crucial function, the really important role that women serve as housewives is to buy more things for the house." ~ Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique
I stay home. I would like to believe that I am more valuable to society than just a consumer. I mean I know I don't do really important things like pay taxes on a wage. But, I do shape the next generation. I thought our country valued that. I guess not.

Related: Levels of Racism: A Theoretic Framework and a Gardener’s Tale by Camara Phyllis Jones, MD, MPH, PhD

Or, if you prefer, this link will direct you to a video presentation on her allegory, "A Gardener's Tale."

1 comment:

  1. My darling is wondering if you are also keeping them in touch with Haitian culture since it is so different than black culture? I myself am confused, so I am learning from both of y'all! LOL! His thoughts are to focus on raising Haitian children in America rather than raising black children in America, because to him they are very different. Time to pull out the Fugees! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

    ReplyDelete